Definition of Polygonia comma
1. Noun. Anglewing butterfly with a comma-shaped mark on the underside of each hind wing.
Generic synonyms: Brush-footed Butterfly, Four-footed Butterfly, Nymphalid, Nymphalid Butterfly
Group relationships: Genus Polygonia, Polygonia
Polygonia Comma Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Polygonia Comma Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Polygonia Comma
Literary usage of Polygonia comma
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Butterflies of the Eastern United States and Canada: With Special by Samuel Hubbard Scudder, William Morris Davis, Charles William Woodworth, Leland Ossian Howard, Charles Valentine Riley, Samuel Wendell Williston (1889)
"NY, 114-116 (1859). Figured by Glover, 111. NA Lep., pi. 92, fig.17; p]. 95, figs. 21,22; pi.0, fig. 10, ined. polygonia comma ..."
2. Butterflies: Their Structure, Changes and Life-histories, with Special by Samuel Hubbard Scudder (1881)
"... under surface of nettle-leaves a hanging column of from three to nine glistening eggs of the Orange Comma (polygonia comma) placed end to end [Fig. 83]. ..."
3. A Manual on the Study of Insects by John Henry Comstock, Anna Botsford Comstock (1895)
"The Hop-merchant, polygonia comma (P. com'ma). —As in the preceding species, the silvery mark of the hind wings is in the form of aC or aG (PI. VI, Fig. ..."
4. Entomological News and Proceedings of the Entomological Section of the by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Entomological Section (1914)
"36 (2()6a) polygonia comma var. dryas Edw. Common; it was very numerous in this vicinity during the first week of July, 191.1; June 2J. July 6. ..."