Definition of Polyps
1. Noun. (plural of polyp) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Polyps
1. polyp [n] - See also: polyp
Medical Definition of Polyps
1. A general descriptive term used with reference to any mass of tissue that bulges or projects outward or upward from the normal surface level, thereby being macroscopically visible as a hemispheroidal, spheroidal, or irregular moundlike structure growing from a relatively broad base or a slender stalk. Classically applied to a growth on the mucous membrane of the nose, the term is now applied to such protrusions from any mucous membrane. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Polyps Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Polyps
Literary usage of Polyps
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Medical Clinics of North America by Michael C. Fiore, Stephen S. Entman, Charles B. Rush (1921)
"This advice is given even when the size and position of the polyps ... The method of removing polyps from the sigmoid or rectum depends on a number of ..."
2. Corals and Coral Islands by James Dwight Dana (1890)
"The details of structure may be best described from the Actinia or Sea-anemone, and afterward the distinguishing characters of the coral-making polyps may ..."
3. The coral Siderastrea radians and its postlarval development by J[ames] E[dwin] Duerden (1904)
"YOUNG polyps. Very few of the young polyps reared were available for ... The section of the polyps includes the oral aperture, and on the right is truly ..."
4. Seaside Studies in Natural History by Elizabeth Cabot Cary Agassiz, Alexander Agassiz (1871)
"In all polyps the body consists of a sac divided by vertical partitions (Fig. ... In the lower polyps, as in our common Actinia for instance, these organs ..."
5. Guidelines for the Evaluation of Virtual Terminal Implementations by Carol A. Edgar (1993)
"Surveillance After Removal of Adenomatous polyps Options for surveillance in patients who have had adenomatous polyps removed are colonoscopy and barium ..."