¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Polyzoon
1. a phylum of aquatic animals [n POLYZOA]
Medical Definition of Polyzoon
Origin: NL. See Polyzoan.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Polyzoon Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Polyzoon
Literary usage of Polyzoon
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria by Royal Society of Victoria (1889)
"These specimens reached me in excellent condition, and a glance at the living animal at once proved it to be a polyzoon of very novel and ..."
2. The Intellectual Observer (1865)
"THE WANDERING polyzoon (CRISTATELLA MUCEDO). BY EEV. ... so descriptive of the habits of this polyzoon, first proposed by Lamark, had been allowed to stand; ..."
3. Catalogue of Marine Polyzoa in the Collection of the British Museum by George Busk (1852)
"In a paper in the Transactions of the Microscopical Society (cited above), an endeavour is made to show the true nature of this polyzoon and to describe ..."
4. The Popular Science Review: A Quarterly Miscellany of Entertaining and edited by [Anonymus AC02893924] (1863)
"In the Ascidian the respiration takes place by means of internal branchiae; in the polyzoon, by means of external branchiae forming around the mouth a ..."
5. The English Cyclopaedia by Charles Knight (1867)
"Essentially a polyzoon, it is nevertheless distinguished from all other Polyzoa by the circumstance that its tentacles are united together by a membrane ..."