Definition of Portunidae
1. Noun. Swimming crabs.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Family
Group relationships: Brachyura, Suborder Brachyura
Member holonyms: Swimming Crab, Genus Portunus, Portunus, Genus Ovalipes, Ovalipes, Callinectes, Genus Callinectes
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Portunidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Portunidae
Literary usage of Portunidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Fauna and Geography of the Maldive and Laccadive Archipelagoes: Being by John Stanley Gardiner (1903)
"portunidae. BY LA BORRADAILE, MA, Lecturer in Natural Sciences of Selwyn College, ... portunidae ..."
2. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1900)
"The family portunidae, or the swimming crabs, have, with one exception, the last pair of legs developed into a swimming ..."
3. A Manual of the Common Invertebrate Animals: Exclusive of Insects by Henry Sherring Pratt (1916)
"portunidae. Swimming crabs. Carapace broader than long and with a well- defined serrate, anterior margin; the last pair of ..."
4. Report of the Annual Meeting (1903)
"... Crustaceans (Varieties and portunidae)' by LA Borradaile ; ' Chaetognatha,' by L. Doncaster, and ' Dragon Flies,' by FF Laidlaw. ..."
5. Year-book of the Royal Society of London by Royal Society (Great Britain) (1897)
"... swimming (portunidae), and burrowing crabs (Co three families being characterised by special peculiarities of foi with these different habits. ..."