Definition of Potamogeton
1. Noun. A large genus of aquatic herbs found in quiet waters in temperate regions; leaves usually float on the water.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Potamogetonaceae, Pondweed Family, Potamogetonaceae
Member holonyms: Curled Leaf Pondweed, Curly Pondweed, Potamogeton Crispus, Potamogeton Gramineous, Variously-leaved Pondweed, Loddon Pondweed, Potamogeton Americanus, Potamogeton Nodosus
Lexicographical Neighbors of Potamogeton
Literary usage of Potamogeton
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta Growing Without Cultivation in by Botanical Club (1894)
"potamogeton perfoliatus Richardsonii A. Bennett, Britten's Journ. Bot. 27: 25 (1889). potamogeton perfoliatus var. lanceolatus Robbins in A. Gray, Man. ..."
2. Glimpses of the Cosmos by Lester Frank Ward (1913)
"potamogeton Claytonii, Tuckerman. Common. 90. potamogeton compressus ... potamogeton lucens, L. Not common. In the Potomac. 98. potamogeton lucens, L. ..."
3. Contributions from the United States National Herbarium by United States National Herbarium, United States National Museum (1905)
"This family is represented in Guam by potamogeton natans ... The growth of potamogeton and other water plants is here so vigorous as to check the flow of ..."
4. The Flora of Essex County, Massachusetts by John Robinson (1880)
"potamogeton hybridus, Michx. Common in stagnant water. potamogeton ... potamogeton pulcher, Tuckerman. Chebacco pond; Ipswich river; Beaver pond, Beverly; ..."