Definition of Pouteria
1. Noun. Tropical American timber tree with edible fruit (canistel).
Generic synonyms: Dicot Genus, Magnoliopsid Genus
Group relationships: Family Sapotaceae, Sapodilla Family, Sapotaceae
Member holonyms: Canistel, Canistel Tree, Pouteria Campechiana Nervosa, Calocarpum Zapota, Mammee, Marmalade Tree, Pouteria Zapota, Sapote
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pouteria Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pouteria
Literary usage of Pouteria
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Comparative Storage Biology of Tropical Tree Seeds by Moctar Sacandé (2004)
"1356, Santa Cruz, Bolivia Abstract pouteria macrophylla seeds from Bolovia have been investigated for their tolerance to desiccation and storage. ..."
2. Manual of Tropical and Subtropical Fruits: Excluding the Banana, Coconut by Wilson Popenoe (1920)
"46) (pouteria Caimito, Radlk.) Although the abiu is one of the best of the ... The abiu (pouteria Caimito), one of the best of the ..."
3. A Grammar of Botany: Illustrative of Artificial, as Well as Natural by James Edward Smith, José Francisco Correia da Serra, Henry Muhlenberg (1822)
"(pouteria Aubl.,) Styrax and Halesia. This Section constitutes an Order subsequently established by Jussieu, under the name of ..."
4. A grammar of botany, illustrative of artificial, as well as natural by James Edward Smith (1821)
"790 (pouteria Aubl.), Styrax and Halesia. This Section constitutes an Order subsequently established by Jussieu, under the name of ..."