Definition of Prolate cycloid
1. Noun. A cycloid generated by a point outside the rolling circle.
Prolate Cycloid Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Prolate Cycloid Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Prolate Cycloid
Literary usage of Prolate cycloid
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Elementary Treatise on the Differential Calculus Founded on the Method of by John Minot Rice, William Woolsey Johnson (1877)
"prolate cycloid. x = y Denoting by b the distance of the generating point from the centre of ... Determine the points of inflexion in the prolate cycloid. ..."
2. A Treatise on the Cycloid and All Forms of Cycloidal Curves, and on the Use by Richard Anthony Proctor (1878)
"45, frontispiece) has its cusps at B and D ; show that it touches tho prolate cycloid apd at a point of inflexion. 117. A series of prolate cycloids have ..."
3. A Manual of Mechanical Drawing by Philip Devereux Johnston (1903)
"The prolate cycloid.—If the tracing point be within the circumference of the generating circle, the curve described by this point while the generating ..."
4. Analytic Geometry by Wallace Alvin Wilson, Joshua Irving Tracey (1915)
"Write out in full the derivation of the parametric equations of (a) the curtate cycloid ; (6) the prolate cycloid. 5. Trace the curtate cycloid though two ..."
5. Mathematical and Physical Papers by Sir George Gabriel Stokes, Baron John William Strutt Rayleigh (1880)
"The prolate cycloid is the form assigned by Mr Bussell to waves of the kind here considered. Reports of the British Association, Yol. vi. p. 448. ..."
6. A Treatise on the Differential Calculus: With Numerous Examples by Isaac Todhunter (1890)
"If the describing point be inside the perimeter the curve is called the prolate cycloid, if outside the curtate cycloid ; the term trochoid is also used to ..."