Definition of Provedor
1. purveyor [n -S] - See also: purveyor
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Provedor Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Provedor
Literary usage of Provedor
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. History of the War in the Peninsula, Under Napoleon by Maximilien Foy (1827)
"The provedor, a magistrate independent of the corregidor, ... Sometimes the jurisdiction of the provedor extends over several comarcas; sometimes, too, ..."
2. A Dictionary of the Portuguese and English Languages, in Two Parts ...by Antonio Vieyra by Antonio Vieyra (1813)
"provedoria, sf the dignity of a provedor; tee provedor. Ab the district, or particular territory under the authority of a provedor. ..."
3. Sketches of Residence and Travels in Brazil: Embracing Historical and by Daniel Parish Kidder (1845)
"The provedor (superintendent) at this juncture offered the keys to the treasurer, ... The door opened, and the provedor besought the regent that his Majesty ..."
4. History of Brazil by Robert Southey (1817)
"... the superior officers followed the Governor, and the inferior appointments were transferred to S. Luiz. The provedor at Belem had a salary of eighty ..."
5. The Commentaries of the Great Afonso Dalboquerque, Second Viceroy of India by Afonso de Albuquerque, Walter de Gray Birch (1884)
"... provedor, or chief officer, accompanied by a large body of ... and in front of the coffin went the provedor, with his wand in hand, ..."