Definition of Public square
1. Noun. An open area at the meeting of two or more streets.
Group relationships: City
Specialized synonyms: Trafalgar Square
Specialized synonyms: Piazza, Place, Plaza
Generic synonyms: Parcel, Parcel Of Land, Piece Of Ground, Piece Of Land, Tract
2. Noun. A place of assembly for the people in ancient Greece.
Public Square Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Public Square Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Public Square
Literary usage of Public square
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1922)
"The portion of the square not covered by the courthouse has continuously since then been used by the general public as a public square, and the courthouse ..."
2. Commentaries on the Law of Municipal Corporations by John Forrest Dillon (1911)
"Use of public square by County. — A county has no inherent right to appropriate the exclusive use of a public square in a town, not dedicated expressly to ..."
3. Judicial and Statutory Definitions of Words and Phrases by West Publishing Company (1904)
"Dillon, In his work on Municipal Corporations, § 509, says: "The uses and purposes of a public square are In some respects different from those of a public ..."
4. Supreme Court Reporter by Robert Desty, United States Supreme Court, West Publishing Company (1913)
"... declared by that court to constitute the public square or plaza of the town, devoted to public uses, since such suit is like an ordinary action a( law. ..."
5. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne (1913)
"The exorcises were usually brought to a close by the burning in the public square of cards, dice, musical instruments, etc. He always carried with him a ..."
6. Commentaries on the Law of Municipal Corporations by John Forrest Dillon (1890)
"Cottage City (public square), 143 Mass. 521 (1887), where the cases are collected by Holmes, J. Indictment for obstructing public square of St. Albans by a ..."