Definition of Purl stitch
1. Noun. A basic knitting stitch.
2. Verb. Make with purl stitches.
Lexicographical Neighbors of Purl Stitch
Literary usage of Purl stitch
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Young Ladies' Journal Complete Guide to the Work-table: Containing (1885)
"... knit four rounds without decreasing, keeping the purl stitch as directed, then decrease as before ; work four rounds between the decrease three times, ..."
2. Young Englishwoman: A Volume of Pure Literature, New Fashions, and Pretty (1867)
"... 4 double, 1 single, repeat 4 timos more from *, joining the figures by means of the purl stitch ; the ends of the cotton are knotted together. 251. ..."
3. The Household Cyclopædia of Practical Receipts and Daily Wants by Alexander V. Hamilton (1873)
"Make a loop, work 2 double stitches, 1 purl stitch, 7 times, 2 double, draw STAB COLLAR. Berlin Wool-work.—The following are the stitches most commonly ..."