Definition of Purl stitch
1. Noun. A basic knitting stitch.
2. Verb. Make with purl stitches.
Purl Stitch Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Purl Stitch Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Purl Stitch
Literary usage of Purl stitch
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Young Ladies' Journal Complete Guide to the Work-table: Containing (1885)
"... knit four rounds without decreasing, keeping the purl stitch as directed, then decrease as before ; work four rounds between the decrease three times, ..."
2. Young Englishwoman: A Volume of Pure Literature, New Fashions, and Pretty (1867)
"... 4 double, 1 single, repeat 4 timos more from *, joining the figures by means of the purl stitch ; the ends of the cotton are knotted together. 251. ..."
3. The Household Cyclopædia of Practical Receipts and Daily Wants by Alexander V. Hamilton (1873)
"Make a loop, work 2 double stitches, 1 purl stitch, 7 times, 2 double, draw STAB COLLAR. Berlin Wool-work.—The following are the stitches most commonly ..."