Definition of Quarter-hour
1. Noun. A quarter of an hour.
Generic synonyms: Time Unit, Unit Of Time
Group relationships: 60 Minutes, Hour, Hr
Lexicographical Neighbors of Quarter-hour
Literary usage of Quarter-hour
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"A child strikes the quarter-hour, ... an old man the three-quarter-hour and death the hour, while Washington rises from his seat and, extending his right ..."
2. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"A child strikes the quarter-hour, a youth the half-hour, an old man the three-quarter-hour and death the hour, while Washington rises from his seat and, ..."
3. Everyday Arithmetic by Franklin Sherman Hoyt, Harriet E. Peet (1920)
"... and the Quarter-Hour 12 o'clock Quarter past 12 o'clock Half past 12 o'clock Quarter to 1 o'clock [Without pencil.] 1. How far around the clock face ..."
4. The Journal of the American Society for Psychical Research by American Society for Psychical Research (1921)
"The chimes strike every quarter-hour; four notes at the quarter- hour, eight at the half-hour, twelve at the three-quarter-hour, ..."
5. The New International Encyclopædia by Daniel Colt Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1902)
"Above this are movable figures, which in succession strike the quarter-hour. The first figure is an infant, which strikes the bell with a rattle; ..."