Definition of Quinnat salmon
1. Noun. Large Pacific salmon valued as food; adults die after spawning.
Generic synonyms: Salmon
Group relationships: Genus Oncorhynchus, Oncorhynchus
Terms within: Chinook, Chinook Salmon, King Salmon
Lexicographical Neighbors of Quinnat Salmon
Literary usage of Quinnat salmon
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Guide to the Study of Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1905)
"At first only the quinnat salmon was packed; afterwards the red salmon and the silver ... The wholesale price in 1903 was for quinnat salmon $5.60 per case, ..."
2. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1881)
"A considerable number of quinnat salmon run in August and September, ... It should be placed on a stream where the quinnat salmon actually come to spawn. ..."
3. The Americana: A Universal Reference Library, Comprising the Arts and ...by Frederick Converse Beach, George Edwin Rines by Frederick Converse Beach, George Edwin Rines (1912)
"There are five species of salmon on the Pacific coast which belong to the genus Oncorhynchus, namely, the chinook or quinnat salmon (O. tschawytscha), ..."
4. American Fishes: A Popular Treatise Upon the Game and Food Fishes of North by George Brown Goode, Theodore Gill (1903)
"Like the quinnat salmon, it is attract in early spring into all those streams which are fed by the melting sno and into no others. ..."
5. Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1907)
"The great majority of the quinnat salmon, and probaby all the blue-back salmon, ... The spring quinnat salmon ascends only those rivers which are fed by the ..."
6. Bulletin of the United States Fish Commission by United States Fish Commission (1882)
"Mr. A. Booth, of Chicago, 11l., sent a quinnat salmon, •over 20 inches long, ... Mr. RJ Sawyer presented to the National Mn- .senm a quinnat salmon, ..."
7. Index of Economic Material in Documents of the States of the United States by Adelaide Rosalia Hasse (1908)
"Rept. on planting of quinnat salmon fry in short coast streams of Marin Co., ... The quinnat salmon—extracts from rept. on investigations in Sacramento ..."
8. Sessional Papers by Canada Parliament (1888)
"... the quinnat salmon run- ing now are white or pale pink. Fish wanting in color are not canned as cooking will draw the balance of the coloring from them. ..."