Definition of Rainbow smelt
1. Noun. Common smelt of eastern North America and Alaska.
2. Noun. Important marine and landlocked food fish of eastern North America and Alaska.
Generic synonyms: Smelt
Group relationships: Genus Osmerus, Osmerus
Terms within: American Smelt
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rainbow Smelt
Literary usage of Rainbow smelt
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Canada's Atlantic Provinces: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland by Barbara Radcliffe Rogers, Stillman Rogers (2005)
"In this section there is fishing for rainbow smelt and for striped bass. ... In the Bay of St. Mary, off New Edinburgh, are rainbow smelt and striped bass, ..."
2. American Fishes: A Popular Treatise Upon the Game and Food Fishes of North by George Brown Goode, Theodore Gill (1903)
"'Osmerus dentex : rainbow smelt ; Rainbow Herring. Osmerus thaleichthys : Small-toothed Smelt. Hypomesus pretiosus : Surf Smelt. ..."
3. Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1907)
"Osmerus eperlanus is the European species ; Osmerus mordax of our eastern coast is very much like it, as is also the rainbow-smelt, ..."
4. A Guide to the Study of Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1905)
"... of our eastern coast is very much like it, as is also the rainbow-smelt, Osmerus dentex of Japan and Alaska. A larger smelt, Osmerus alba- ..."