Definition of Rattlesnake master
1. Noun. Coarse prickly perennial eryngo of United States thought to cure rattlesnake bite.
Generic synonyms: Perennial
Group relationships: Eryngium, Genus Eryngium
Rattlesnake Master Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Rattlesnake Master Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rattlesnake Master
Literary usage of Rattlesnake master
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin by United States Bureau of Plant Industry (1905)
"Dense button-snakeroot; colic-root; prairie-pine; gay-feather; rattlesnake- master; corn-snakeroot; backache-root. Native, perennial herb, 2 to 5 feet ..."
2. The Arena by Harry Houdini Collection (Library of Congress) (1895)
"Whar air that root o' rattlesnake's-master you-uns ware gwine ter fetch ter trade fur some sorghum so brisk? Mis. Durham she jest doctored herse'f on corn ..."
3. King's American Dispensatory by John King (1909)
"Its common names are u-ater eri/ngo, button snakeroot, corn snakeroot, and rattlesnake's master. It was formerly lauded as an effective agent for the cure ..."
4. Appleton's New Practical Cyclopedia: A New Work of Reference Based Upon the by Marcus Benjamin, Arthur Elmore Bostwick, George Jotham Hagar, Gerald Van Casteel (1910)
"... called also button snakeroot, blazing star, rattlesnake master, etc., showy composite-flowered plants, with stimulant and diuretic properties. ..."
5. Appleton's New Practical Cyclopedia: A New Work of Reference Based Upon the edited by Marcus Benjamin, Arthur Elmore Bostwick, Gerald Van Casteel, George Jotham Hagar (1920)
"(4) Liatris spicata, (5) L. squar- rosa, and (6) L. scariosa, called also button snakeroot, blazing star, rattlesnake master, etc., showy composite-flowered ..."
6. Education by Project Innovation (Organization) (1895)
"The liatris is not even permitted the sole ownership of either of its nicknames, a member of the parsley family, also called rattlesnake master, ..."