Definition of Red pimpernel
1. Noun. Herb with scarlet or white or purple blossoms that close at approach of rainy weather.
Generic synonyms: Pimpernel
Red Pimpernel Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Red Pimpernel Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Red Pimpernel
Literary usage of Red pimpernel
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. King's American Dispensatory by John King, Harvey Wickes Felter, John Uri Lloyd (1905)
"It was thought by Linné a variety of red pimpernel. Its properties, chemically and medicinally, are probably analogous to tho'se of ..."
2. Dr. Chase's Family Physician, Farrier, Bee-keeper, and Second Receipt Book by Alvin Wood Chase (1874)
"In England it is called red pimpernel ; and its ... In speaking of its history, he says: " It has several names as red pimpernel, pom man's •weather ..."
3. King's American Dispensatory by John King (1909)
"COMMON NAMES: red pimpernel, Scarlet pimpernel, Red chickweed, ... It was thought by Linne a variety of red pimpernel. Its properties, chemically and ..."
4. How to Know the Wild Flowers: A Guide to the Names, Haunts, and Habits of by Frances Theodora Parsons (1895)
"... red pimpernel. POOR-MAN'S-WEATHER-GLASS. Anagallis arvensis. Primrose Family. stem ; usually with dark spots. Flowers.—Bright red, occasionally blue or ..."
5. The Treasury of Botany: A Popular Dictionary of the Vegetable Kingdom; with by John Lindley (1866)
"... an obscure weed, no other genus of the order presents this feature. Every one is familiar with the common red Pimpernel (A. arvensis). ..."