Definition of Republic of colombia
1. Noun. A republic in northwestern South America with a coastline on the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea; achieved independence from Spain in 1821 under the leadership of Simon Bolivar; Spanish is the official language.
Geographical relationships: Eln, National Liberation Army, Farc, Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarios De Colombia, Revolutionary Armed Forces Of Colombia, Auc, Autodefensas Unidas De Colombia, United Self-defense Force Of Colombia, United Self-defense Group Of Colombia, Medellin Cartel, Cali Cartel
Group relationships: Oas, Organization Of American States
Generic synonyms: South American Country, South American Nation
Terms within: Barranquilla, Bogota, Capital Of Colombia, Cali, Medellin, Cartagena, Soledad, Galeras, Pasto, Purace, Andes, Arauca, Magdalena, Magdalena River, Orinoco, Orinoco River
Group relationships: South America
Member holonyms: Colombian
Derivative terms: Colombian
Republic Of Colombia Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Republic Of Colombia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Republic Of Colombia
Literary usage of Republic of colombia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Cambridge Modern History by Adolphus William Ward, George Walter Prothero (1907)
"After this stroke of large political strategy, he returned to Angostura and proclaimed the union of New Granada and Venezuela in the Republic of Colombia. ..."
2. Appletons' Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year (1903)
"The Republic of Colombia may establish judicial tribunals within said zone, which shall have exclusive jurisdiction of all controversies between citizens of ..."
3. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"The republic of Ecuador was established in 1830 as the outcome of a civil war which separated the members of the original republic of Colombia formed by ..."
4. The American Year Book: A Record of Events and Progress by Francis Graham Wickware, (, Albert Bushnell Hart, (, Simon Newton Dexter North, William M. Schuyler (1915)
"The Government of the Republic of Colombia, In its own name and in the name of ... Article II The Republic of Colombia shall enjoy the following rights in ..."
5. A Compilation of the Messages and Papers of the Presidents, 1789-1897 by United States President (1897)
"Subsequently to the conclusion of this convention a treaty was negotiated between the Republic of Colombia and Great Britain, by which it was stipulated ..."
6. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"Venezuela also had its origin in 1830 in the break-up of the Bolivar republic of Colombia. The Spanish flag was cut down in this province in 1811 and the ..."