Definition of Rhapis
1. Noun. Genus of small clump-forming fan palms of China and Japan.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Arecaceae, Family Arecaceae, Family Palmaceae, Family Palmae, Palm Family, Palmaceae, Palmae
Member holonyms: Lady Palm
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Rhapis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rhapis
Literary usage of Rhapis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture: A Discussion for the Amateur, and by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1916)
"The plant is said to produce suckers freely, like rhapis. Cult, as in rhapis. Rhapidophyllum, hystrix, the blue palmetto or needle palmetto, ..."
2. Cyclopedia of American Horticulture: Comprising Suggestions for Cultivation by Liberty Hyde Bailey, Wilhelm Miller (1902)
"The plant is said to produce suckers freely, like rhapis, an unusual ... rhapis (Greek, needle; alluding to the shape of the Ivs. or perhaps the awns of the ..."
3. Cyclopædia of India and of Eastern and Southern Asia, Commercial, Industrial by Edward Balfour (1873)
"The rhapis gron ь over southern China, attaining at tina Jr height of 30 feet and upwards ; tbe but u stripped off every year. The price f.. r prepared coir ..."
4. House Plants and how to Grow Them by Parker Thayer Barnes (1909)
"A somewhat stiff, formal, but interesting palm is the so-called ground rattan (rhapis flabelliformis). It is a slow grower and lasts very well indeed in the ..."