Definition of Rhinoceros family
1. Noun. Rhinoceroses.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Family
Group relationships: Order Perissodactyla, Perissodactyla
Member holonyms: Rhino, Rhinoceros, Genus Rhinoceros, Ceratotherium, Genus Ceratotherium, Diceros, Genus Diceros
Rhinoceros Family Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Rhinoceros Family Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rhinoceros Family
Literary usage of Rhinoceros family
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Adventures of Two Youths in a Journey Through Africa by Thomas Wallace Knox (1883)
"... IN THE rhinoceros family. " As to the figures," answered the Doctor, " we learn, on the authority of those who have hunted him, that the white ..."
2. The American Cyclopaedia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge edited by George Ripley, Charles Anderson Dana (1883)
"... if not in the rhinoceros family ; judging from the teeth, and the size, form, and thickness of jaw, it must have been an animal of heavy proportions, ..."
3. Elements of Geology: A Text-book for Colleges and for the General Reader by Joseph LeConte (1891)
"... the horse, and the dog families are added. This is seen in the following schedule: Carnivores. Hyena. Wolf. Tiger. Panther. J rhinoceros family. ..."
4. A Compend of Geology by Joseph LeConte (1898)
"It is worthy of note that in the Miocene many existing families (not species), such as the rhinoceros family, the camel family, the deer family, ..."
5. Annual Report of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the by United States General Land Office, United States Dept. of the Interior (1872)
"Among the most interesting paleontological discoveries in this country is that of the former existence of the rhinoceros family on -the North American ..."