Definition of Rhodophyceae
1. Noun. Coextensive with the Rhodophyta: red algae.
Group relationships: Division Rhodophyta, Rhodophyta
Member holonyms: Family Gigartinaceae, Gigartinaceae, Family Rhodymeniaceae, Rhodymeniaceae, Bangiaceae, Family Bangiaceae
Generic synonyms: Class
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Rhodophyceae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rhodophyceae
Literary usage of Rhodophyceae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Fossil Plants: A Text-book for Students of Botany and Geology by Albert Charles Seward (1898)
"The rhodophyceae, like the Cyanophyceae and Chlorophyceae, include a shell-boring form which has been found in the common razor-shelli. ..."
2. Strasburger's Text-book of Botany by Eduard Strasburger, Hans Fitting, William Henry Lang (1921)
"The rhodophyceae are usually red or violet; sometimes, however, they have a dark purple or reddish-brown colour. ..."
3. A Textbook of Botany for Colleges and Universities by John Merle Coulter, Charles Reid Barnes, Henry Chandler Cowles (1910)
"... motile cells and yellow or brown chromoplasts suggest brown algae ; and the forms without chromoplasts do not suggest algae at all. (3) rhodophyceae ..."
4. Botany, with Agricultural Applications by John Nathan Martin (1920)
"Red Algae (rhodophyceae) These Algae are mainly marine forms, although some forms occur in streams. Besides the green they have a red pigment called ..."