Definition of Richard jordan gatling
1. Noun. United States inventor of the first rapid firing gun (1818-1903).
Richard Jordan Gatling Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Richard Jordan Gatling Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Richard Jordan Gatling
Literary usage of Richard jordan gatling
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Colonial and State Political History of Hertford County, N.C. by Benjamin Brodie Winborne (1906)
"richard jordan gatling. In 1822 James Gatling, an unlettered but an honorable man, who years before married Mary Cowper, sister of Wm. Cowper, ..."
2. The Colonial and State Political History of Hertford County, N.C. by Benjamin Brodie Winborne (1906)
"richard jordan gatling. In 1822 James Galling, an unlettered but an honorable man, who years before married Mary Cowper, sister of Wm. Cowper, ..."
3. History of North Carolina: From the Earliest Discoveries to the Present Time by John Wheeler Moore (1880)
"It had been invented two years before by Dr. richard jordan gatling, who was born and reared in Hertford county, but had not assumed its present perfection ..."
4. The Science Record edited by Alfred Ely Beach (1872)
"richard jordan gatling. ... richard jordan gatling—the inventor of the celebrated revolving battery gun which bears his ..."
5. The Armies of Industry: Our Nation's Manufacture of Munitions for a World in by Benedict Crowell, Robert Forrest Wilson (1921)
"The first true machine gun was the invention of richard jordan gatling, an American, who in 1861 brought out what might be termed a revolving rifle. ..."
6. The Memorial History of Hartford County, Connecticut, 1633-1884 by James Hammond Trumbull (1886)
"It is the invention of Dr. richard jordan gatling, who was born in North Carolina, Sept. 12, 1818. He conceived the idea of this gun during the early days ..."
7. The Great Industries of the United States: Being an Historical Summary of by Horace Greeley (1872)
"The inventor, richard jordan gatling, was born in Hartford County, NC, the 12th of September, 1818. His father was a substantial farmer, and the young ..."