Definition of Roberts
1. Noun. United States biochemist (born in England) honored for his discovery that some genes contain introns (born in 1943).
2. Noun. United States evangelist (born 1918).
3. Noun. United States writer remembered for his historical novels about colonial America (1885-1957).
4. Noun. A Welsh pirate credited with having taken more than 400 ships (1682-1722).
Definition of Roberts
1. Noun. (plural of Robert) ¹
2. Proper noun. An English and Welsh patronymic surname from the given name Robert. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Roberts Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Roberts
Literary usage of Roberts
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1915)
"Lit Digest 49:1140 D 5 '14 roberts, M. Emma Art courses in elementary, ... Tech World 23:772-7 Ag '15 roberts, Mervin Putting the machine out of business. ..."
2. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1917)
"Am City (T and С ed) 15:645-6 D '16 roberts, Cecil Springtime in Cookham Dean; ... Lit Digest 55:36 S l '17 roberts, Dorothy Gwynne Unknown princess; poem. ..."
3. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1896)
"John roberts, whose family had long been connected with that ... His grandfather, John roberts, who married Mary Susannah ..."
4. The Cumulative Book Index by H.W. Wilson Company (1911)
"roberts, Peter, 1859- Immigrant races in North America. ... See roberts, D. Vermont digest, 1789- Track formulae and tables: a handbook of the theory and ..."
5. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by Anna Lorraine Guthrie, Marion A. Knight, H.W. Wilson Company, Estella E. Painter (1920)
"English R 29:234 S '19 roberts, Edith Adelaide Epidermal cells of roots, ... Countryside M 22:1S Ja '16 roberts, George D. Effect of war with Germany. ..."
6. American Book Prices Current (1919)
"(signature С in duplicate), roberts, G., Apr. Ю, '18. (310) $25.00. ... (small piece cut from title-page), roberts, G., Apr. 10, '18. (286) $6.00. ..."
7. Who's who by Henry Robert Addison, Charles Henry Oakes, William John Lawson, Douglas Brooke Wheelton Sladen (1898)
"roberts, Rev. Griffith, Canon of Llandaff and Diocesan Missioner for Diocese of ... 1857; s. of WH roberts, late Superintending Inspector of Income Tax. ..."
8. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1921)
"Suit by AJ Peck, Assignee of the Elk Motor Truck Company, against WS roberts and others. Decree for complainant, and defendant named appeals. Affirmed. ..."