Definition of Rock
1. Noun. A lump or mass of hard consolidated mineral matter. "He threw a rock at me"
Generic synonyms: Natural Object
Specialized synonyms: Achondrite, Bedrock, Boulder, Bowlder, Calculus, Concretion, Chondrite, Clastic Rock, Crystal, Crystallization, Intrusion, Outcrop, Outcropping, Rock Outcrop, Pebble, Petrifaction, Sill, Stepping Stone, Tor, Wall Rock, Whin, Whinstone, Xenolith
Derivative terms: Rocky, Stone, Stony
2. Verb. Move back and forth or sideways. "The streets rock with crowds"; "She rocked back and forth on her feet"
Specialized synonyms: Roll, Nutate, Swag, Totter
Related verbs: Sway
Generic synonyms: Move Back And Forth
Derivative terms: Rocker, Shake, Sway, Sway
3. Noun. Material consisting of the aggregate of minerals like those making up the Earth's crust. "Stone is abundant in New England and there are many quarries"
Generic synonyms: Material, Stuff
Terms within: Mineral
Specialized synonyms: Quartzite, Road Metal, Sedimentary Rock, Sial, Sima, Metamorphic Rock, Crushed Rock, Gravel, Caliche, Shingling, Pumice, Pumice Stone, Aphanite, Claystone, Dolomite, Emery Rock, Emery Stone, Conglomerate, Pudding Stone, Fieldstone, Greisen, Calc-tufa, Tufa, Magma, Igneous Rock, Limestone, Marble, Matrix
Derivative terms: Stone
4. Verb. Cause to move back and forth. "The wind swayed the trees gently"
Generic synonyms: Displace, Move
Related verbs: Shake, Sway
Derivative terms: Rocker, Rocker, Sway
5. Noun. United States gynecologist and devout Catholic who conducted the first clinical trials of the oral contraceptive pill (1890-1984).
6. Noun. (figurative) someone who is strong and stable and dependable. "Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church"
7. Noun. Hard bright-colored stick candy (typically flavored with peppermint).
8. Noun. A genre of popular music originating in the 1950s; a blend of black rhythm-and-blues with white country-and-western. "Rock is a generic term for the range of styles that evolved out of rock'n'roll."
Generic synonyms: Popular Music, Popular Music Genre
Specialized synonyms: Heavy Metal, Heavy Metal Music, Art Rock, Progressive Rock, Acid Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Punk, Punk Rock
Terms within: Backbeat
Examples of category: Backbeat
9. Noun. Pitching dangerously to one side.
Generic synonyms: Lurch, Pitch, Pitching
Derivative terms: Careen, Careen, Rocky, Sway, Sway, Sway, Tilt, Tilt, Tilt
Definition of Rock
1. n. See Roc.
2. n. A distaff used in spinning; the staff or frame about which flax is arranged, and from which the thread is drawn in spinning.
3. n. A large concreted mass of stony material; a large fixed stone or crag. See Stone.
4. v. t. To cause to sway backward and forward, as a body resting on a support beneath; as, to rock a cradle or chair; to cause to vibrate; to cause to reel or totter.
5. v. i. To move or be moved backward and forward; to be violently agitated; to reel; to totter.
Definition of Rock
1. Proper noun. (surname topographic from=Middle English dot=) for someone living near a rock or an oak ( (term atterm) + (term okem) ). ¹
2. Proper noun. (surnames male given name) transferred from the surname. ¹
3. Proper noun. (context: preceded by "the" or "The") Nickname of Gibraltar. ¹
4. Proper noun. (context: preceded by "the" or "The") Nickname of the prison on Alcatraz Island, USA. ¹
5. Proper noun. (Canada preceded by "the" or "The") Nickname of the island of Newfoundland in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. ¹
6. Noun. The naturally occurring aggregate of solid mineral matter that constitutes a significant part of the earth's crust. ¹
7. Noun. A mass of stone projecting out of the ground or water. ¹
8. Noun. A boulder or large stone. ¹
9. Noun. A large hill or island having no vegetation. ¹
10. Noun. (figuratively) Something that is strong, stable, and dependable; a person who provides security or support to another. ¹
11. Noun. (geology) Any natural material with a distinctive composition of minerals. ¹
12. Noun. (slang) A precious stone or gem, especially a diamond. ¹
13. Noun. A lump or cube of ice. ¹
14. Noun. (British uncountable) A type of confectionery made from sugar in the shape of a stick, traditionally having some text running through its length. ¹
15. Noun. (US slang) A crystalized lump of crack cocaine. ¹
16. Noun. (US slang) An unintelligent person, especially one who repeats mistakes. ¹
17. Noun. (South Africa slang derogatory) An Afrikaner. ¹
18. Noun. (US poker _slang) An extremely conservative player who is willing to play only the very strongest hands. ¹
19. Noun. (basketball informal) A basketball (gloss ball). ¹
20. Verb. (transitive and intransitive) To move gently back and forth. ¹
21. Verb. (transitive) To cause to shake or sway violently. ¹
22. Verb. (intransitive) To sway or tilt violently back and forth. ¹
23. Verb. (transitive and intransitive of ore etc.) To be washed and panned in a cradle or in a rocker. ¹
24. Verb. (transitive) To disturb the emotional equilibrium of; to distress; to greatly impact (most often positively). ¹
25. Verb. (intransitive) ¹
26. Noun. An act of rocking. ¹
27. Noun. A style of music characterized by basic drum-beat, generally 4/4 riffs, based on (usually electric) guitar, bass guitar, drums(,) and vocals. ¹
28. Verb. (intransitive) To play, perform, or enjoy rock music, especially with a lot of skill or energy. ¹
29. Verb. (intransitive slang) To be very favourable or skilful; to excel. ¹
30. Verb. (transitive) to thrill or excite, especially with rock music ¹
31. Verb. (transitive) to do something with excitement yet skillfully ¹
32. Verb. (transitive) To wear (a piece of clothing, outfit etc.) successfully or with style; to carry off (a particular look, style). ¹
33. Noun. distaff ¹
34. Noun. The flax or wool on a distaff. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Rock
1. to move back and forth [v -ED, -ING, -S] : ROCKABLE [adj]
Medical Definition of Rock
1. A large concreted mass of stony material; a large fixed stone or crag. See Stone. "Come one, come all! this rock shall fly From its firm base as soon as I." (Sir W. Scott)