Definition of Rock hopper
1. Noun. Small penguin of the Falkland Islands and New Zealand.
Generic synonyms: Penguin
Group relationships: Eudyptes, Genus Eudyptes
Rock Hopper Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Rock Hopper Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rock Hopper
Literary usage of Rock hopper
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Notes by a Naturalist on the "Challenger": Being an Account of Various by Henry Nottidge Moseley (1879)
"The " Rock-hopper" penguins breed in this cave. I went into it about forty yards until it was quite dark ; the penguins retreated still before ine. ..."
2. Notes by a Naturalist: An Account of Observations Made During the Voyage of by Henry Nottidge Moseley (1892)
"Rock-hopper Penguins. Tussock Grass. Penguin Rookeries. Peculiar Land Birds. Noddies and other Sea Birds. Southern Skuas. Wild Swine. ..."
3. Notes by a naturalist on the "Challenger": being an account of various by Henry Nottidge Moseley (1879)
"The " "Rock-hopper" penguins breed in this cave. I went into it about forty yards until it was quite dark; the penguins retreated still before me. ..."
4. Good Words by Norman Macleod (1874)
"Among the basalt débris at the foot of the cliffs, round the harbour, the rock-hopper penguin had established several rookeries. ..."
5. To the South Polar Regions: Expedition of 1898-1900 by Louis Charles Bernacchi (1901)
"... especially the Rock-hopper, which is found from the Tristan da Cunha group to the Cape Seas, the Marion, Crozet, Kerguelen and St. Paul Islands, ..."
6. Half Hours with Fishes, Reptiles, and Birds by Charles Frederick Holder (1906)
"When carrying the egg, the penguins hop along the rocks, hence acquiring the name " rock hopper." When not bearing the egg they walk as do other birds. ..."
7. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"ROCK-HOPPER, a rock wallaby or kangaroo (qv). The chief industrial establishments arsenal in which there are ployees, plow and tractor factory, ..."