Definition of Rockcress
1. Noun. Noxious cress with yellow flowers; sometimes placed in genus Sisymbrium.
Group relationships: Barbarea, Genus Barbarea
Generic synonyms: Weed
2. Noun. Any of several rock-loving cresses of the genus Arabis.
Generic synonyms: Cress, Cress Plant
Group relationships: Arabis, Genus Arabis
Specialized synonyms: Arabis Canadensis, Sicklepod, Arabis Turrita, Tower Cress, Tower Mustard
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rockcress
Literary usage of Rockcress
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Contributions Towards a Fauna and Flora of the County of Cork by J. R. Harvey, Thomas C. Power, John D. Humphreys (1845)
"A. hirsuta, R.Br. Hairy rockcress. On the walls of a castle near Fermoy: Mr. ... A. ciliata, R.Br. Fringed rockcress. On a sandy bank at the western point ..."
2. An Ethnologic Dictionary of the Navaho Language by Franciscans, St. Michaels, Ariz (1910)
"... watercress, Nasturtium obtusum. ;i/.r- laba'igi, (gray medicine), rockcress, ... so called because it does not grow in clusters, but singly, rockcress, ..."
3. Colin Clout's Calendar: The Record of a Summer. April-October by Grant Allen (1901)
"ON the very summit of the moor here, among the mossy clefts of the weathered granite, a few straggling tufts of northern rockcress still manage to keep good ..."
4. Colin Clout's Calendar: The Record of a Summer April by Grant Allen (1883)
"Now northern rockcress is by origin a sub-arctic plant, spreading along all the higher ranges of Scandinavia, Russia, and Siberia, with a few isolated ..."
5. Wild Land Shrub and Arid Land Restoration Symposium: Proceedings edited by Bruce A. Roundy, E. Durant McArthur, Jennifer S. Hayley, David K. Mann (1996)
"... millefolium—yarrow Agoseris glaca—mountain dandelion Antennaria microphylla—rosy pussytoes Arabis drummondii—Drummond rockcress Arabis holboellii— ..."