Definition of Rockcress
1. Noun. Noxious cress with yellow flowers; sometimes placed in genus Sisymbrium.
Group relationships: Barbarea, Genus Barbarea
Generic synonyms: Weed
2. Noun. Any of several rock-loving cresses of the genus Arabis.
Generic synonyms: Cress, Cress Plant
Group relationships: Arabis, Genus Arabis
Specialized synonyms: Arabis Canadensis, Sicklepod, Arabis Turrita, Tower Cress, Tower Mustard
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Rockcress Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rockcress
Literary usage of Rockcress
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Contributions Towards a Fauna and Flora of the County of Cork by J. R. Harvey, Thomas C. Power, John D. Humphreys (1845)
"A. hirsuta, R.Br. Hairy rockcress. On the walls of a castle near Fermoy: Mr. ... A. ciliata, R.Br. Fringed rockcress. On a sandy bank at the western point ..."
2. An Ethnologic Dictionary of the Navaho Language by Franciscans, St. Michaels, Ariz (1910)
"... watercress, Nasturtium obtusum. ;i/.r- laba'igi, (gray medicine), rockcress, ... so called because it does not grow in clusters, but singly, rockcress, ..."
3. Colin Clout's Calendar: The Record of a Summer. April-October by Grant Allen (1901)
"ON the very summit of the moor here, among the mossy clefts of the weathered granite, a few straggling tufts of northern rockcress still manage to keep good ..."
4. Colin Clout's Calendar: The Record of a Summer April by Grant Allen (1883)
"Now northern rockcress is by origin a sub-arctic plant, spreading along all the higher ranges of Scandinavia, Russia, and Siberia, with a few isolated ..."
5. Wild Land Shrub and Arid Land Restoration Symposium: Proceedings edited by Bruce A. Roundy, E. Durant McArthur, Jennifer S. Hayley, David K. Mann (1996)
"... millefolium—yarrow Agoseris glaca—mountain dandelion Antennaria microphylla—rosy pussytoes Arabis drummondii—Drummond rockcress Arabis holboellii— ..."