Definition of Rutherford b. hayes
1. Noun. 19th President of the United States; his administration removed federal troops from the South and so ended the Reconstruction Period (1822-1893).
Generic synonyms: Chief Executive, President, President Of The United States, United States President
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rutherford B. Hayes
Literary usage of Rutherford b. hayes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. History of the United States from the Compromise of 1850 by James Ford Rhodes (1906)
"Finally rutherford b. hayes had been commended to the country by John Sherman in a cogent public letter and he had the unanimous support of his State. ..."
2. Speeches, Correspondence and Political Papers of Carl Schurz by Carl Schurz (1913)
"FROM rutherford b. hayes EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT, STATE OF OHIO. COLUMBUS, Feb. 25, 1877. I am just about to start for Fremont to stay over Sunday. ..."
3. The Life of Rutherford Birchard Hayes by Charles Richard Williams (1914)
"ILLUSTRATIONS rutherford b. hayes, 1864, IN THE UNIFORM OF A ... THE ROOM 1s NOW USED RY THE STUDENTS FOR SOCIAL PURPOSES 28 rutherford b. hayes, ..."
4. Recollections of Thirteen Presidents by John Sergeant Wise (1906)
"rutherford b. hayes THE first time I recall hearing the name of Rutherford B. Hayes was one morning, during Grant's second term, when the greenback ..."
5. Men and Measures of Half a Century: Sketches and Comments by Hugh McCulloch (1888)
"rutherford b. hayes, the nominee 3 Republican party for President, had done good service j army, and as the candidate for Governor of Ohio in had led the ..."
6. The Role of Federal Military Forces in Domestic Disorders, 1789-1878 by Robert W. Coakley (1996)
"On 26 November, under rutherford b. hayes orders from the president. ... After rutherford b. hayes took the oath of office, however, he recognized Hampton ..."
7. Men and Measures of Half a Century: Sketches and Comments by Hugh McCulloch (1888)
"Presidential Election of 1876—rutherford b. hayes, and William A. Wheeler nominated by the ... rutherford b. hayes, the nominee of the Republican ..."