Definition of Saint-mihiel
1. Noun. A battle in the Meuse-Argonne operation in World War I (1918); the battle in which American troops launched their first offensive in France.
Generic synonyms: Pitched Battle
Group relationships: Argonne, Argonne Forest, Meuse, Meuse River, Meuse-argonne, Meuse-argonne Operation
Geographical relationships: France, French Republic
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Saint-mihiel Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Saint-mihiel
Literary usage of Saint-mihiel
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1920)
"He had also a French division which he placed, with the 26th American division, in a position to carry the Heights of the Meuse north of Saint Mihiel. ..."
2. America in France by Frederick Palmer (1918)
"XXXII SAINT MIHIEL Our first field army—As big as a French group of armies—The ... e— Characteristics of the famous Saint Mihiel salient—AD eyesore to the ..."
3. America in France by Frederick Palmer (1918)
"XXXII SAINT MIHIEL Our first field army—As big as a French group of armies—The chiefs of staff—How big we were, when the American army assembled in ..."
4. America in France by Frederick Palmer (1918)
"... when the American array assembled in Lorraine—A mountain that we would have— Characteristics of the famous Saint Mihiel salient—An eyesore to the ..."
5. Universal Geography: Or, a Description of All Parts of the World, on a New by Conrad Malte-Brun (1831)
"Saint Mihiel, a town of five thousand inhabitants, was for- Saint ... a road has been made, is situated at the distance of four leagues above Saint Mihiel. ..."
6. New England in France, 1917-1919: A History of the Twenty-sixth Division, U by Emerson Gifford Taylor (1920)
"... CHAPTER XV THE saint-mihiel OFFENSIVE iHE Staff had just drafted plans for ... was plainly to be the reduction of the Saint-Mihiel salient, long before ..."
7. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"Concerning the brilliant action of the Rainbow Division in the Saint Mihiel attack Commander Menoher says it was incorporated in the centre of the 4th army ..."