Definition of Salmo
1. Noun. Type genus of the Salmonidae: salmon and trout.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Salmonidae, Salmonidae
Member holonyms: Atlantic Salmon, Salmo Salar, Brown Trout, Salmo Trutta, Salmon Trout, Rainbow Trout, Salmo Gairdneri
Lexicographical Neighbors of Salmo
Literary usage of Salmo
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. American Fishes: A Popular Treatise Upon the Game and Food Fishes of North by George Brown Goode, Theodore Gill (1903)
"salmo clarkii lewisii : Yellowstone Trout. salmo clarkii ... salmo clarkii virginalis : Trout of Utah Lake. salmo clarkii spilurus : Rio Grande Trout. ..."
2. Report of the Annual Meeting (1835)
"salmo Umbla, Linn.; the Char of England; the Ombre Chevalier of the Lake of ... salmo Salar, Linn.; the True salmon. The salmo hamatus of Cuvier is the old ..."
3. Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1907)
"These species are salmo aguabonita Jordan, of the South Fork of the Kern, salmo roosevelti Ever- mann of Volcano Creek, and salmo whitei Evermann of Soda ..."
4. The Published Writings of Spencer Fullerton Baird, 1843-1882 by George Brown Goode (1883)
"By George Suckley, surgeon, United States Army. (Written In 1861). p. 31 Introductory note 91 Tabulated list of species 92 1. salmo ..."