Definition of Save up
1. Verb. Accumulate money for future use. "They save up their grandchild with money"; "He saves half his salary"
Specialized synonyms: Cache, Hive Up, Hoard, Lay Away, Squirrel Away, Stash
Derivative terms: Savings
Definition of Save up
1. Verb. (transitive and intransitive) To accumulate money, especially for a specific, planned expenditure. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Save Up Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Save Up Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Save Up
Literary usage of Save up
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Longman's Magazine by Charles James Longman (1896)
"I'll save up for your sake.' ' I do not want you to save up,' she answered with that faint tone of maternal care which is never wanting in a woman's love. ..."
2. Educational Foundations (1916)
"ALL: Let's save up our pennies for her right away. Good-bye; good-bye. (Children depart for home ... ELIZABETH: Fifty-five cents is all I could save up. ..."
3. Howitt's Journal by William Howitt, Mary Botham Howitt (1848)
"But the savings'-bank—the workman is advised to save up for the future. ... To save up for oneself alone, is to act distrustfully towards one's fellow men ..."
4. Four-H Home Conservation Guide: A Collection of Hands-On Projects ...by DIANE Publishing Company by DIANE Publishing Company (1994)
"Gl YES UNO save up to $10 a month. *27. If you have a manual defrost ... O YES O NO By defrosting whenever ice builds up to 3/4" you can save up to $25/year ..."
5. American State Trials: A Collection of the Important and Interesting by John Davison Lawson, Robert Lorenzo Howard (1919)
"... said: "Every man wants to join them—to save up three or four dollars to buy revolvers to shoot every policeman down; he says he wants every workingman ..."
6. Music: A Monthly Magazine Devoted to the Art, Science, Technic and by William Smythe Babcock Mathews (1900)
"But I find myself at the end of my money und I am at loss whether it would be better for me to teach one or two years and save up money enough to go on with ..."