Definition of Sceloglaux albifacies
1. Noun. Almost extinct owl of New Zealand.
Generic synonyms: Bird Of Minerva, Bird Of Night, Hooter, Owl
Group relationships: Genus Sceloglaux, Sceloglaux
Sceloglaux Albifacies Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sceloglaux Albifacies Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sceloglaux Albifacies
Literary usage of Sceloglaux albifacies
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Handbook to the Birds of Australia by John Gould (1865)
"sceloglaux albifacies, Kaup.—GR Gray, Cat. of Gen. and Subgen. of Birds in Brit. ... sceloglaux albifacies, Gould, Birds of Australia, foL, Supplement. ..."
2. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1900)
"It may be worth while mentioning that sceloglaux albifacies has a skull which comes nearer to that of ..."
3. Austral English: A Dictionary of Australasian Words, Phrases, and Usages by Edward Ellis Morris (1898)
"WL' Buller, 'Birds of New Zealand,' vol. ip 198 : " sceloglaux albifacies, Kaup., Laughing Owl; Laughing Jackass of the Colonists. ..."
4. The Ibis by British Ornithologists' Union (1897)
"Mr. Gurney gives us some useful notes on sceloglaux albifacies, the White-faced Owl of New Zealand, now a rare bird. These are based on a living specimen ..."
5. Austral English: A Dictionary of Australasian Words, Phrases, and Usages by Edward Ellis Morris (1898)
"In New Zealand, the species are—Laughing Jackass, or L. Owl, sceloglaux albifacies, Kaup (Maori name, ..."