Definition of Scleranthus
1. Noun. Small genus of Old World weedy prostrate annuals: knawel.
Generic synonyms: Caryophylloid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Carnation Family, Caryophyllaceae, Family Caryophyllaceae, Pink Family
Member holonyms: Knawe, Knawel, Scleranthus Annuus
Lexicographical Neighbors of Scleranthus
Literary usage of Scleranthus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. English Botany; Or, Coloured Figures of British Plants, with Their Essential ...by Sir James Edward Smith, James Sowerby by Sir James Edward Smith, James Sowerby (1807)
"Cor. none. Seed* two, enclosed in the calyx. SPEC. CHAR. Calyx of the ripe fruit with obtuse in-, curved teeth. Stems prostrate. SYN. scleranthus perennis. ..."
2. A Botanical Materia Medica: Consisting of the Generic and Specific by Jonathan Stokes (1812)
"scleranthus annuus. Segments of the calyx ovate, acute, when in fruit patulous. Obs. 1441. Near Worcester.—Bot. arrang. 436. Fl. dan. t. 504. Smith engl. t. ..."
3. Systematic Anatomy of the Dicotyledons: A Handbook for Laboratories of Pure by Hans Solereder, Dukinfield Henry Scott (1908)
"... the same arrangement as in scleranthus ; the same feature has been observed also in ... and scleranthus perennis, L. Strong punctation of the cuticle is ..."
4. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1913)
"Type species : scleranthus annuus L. i. scleranthus annuus L. ... scleranthus annuus L. Sp. PI. 406. 1753. Much branched from long and rather tough roots, ..."
5. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1853)
"In Tetragonia africana and Trianthema micrantha the mode of growth is, in the smaller ramifications, the same as in scleranthus, and the placentation shows ..."