Definition of Screw tree
1. Noun. A tree or shrub of the genus Helicteres.
Specialized synonyms: Helicteres Isora, Nut-leaved Screw Tree
Generic synonyms: Bush, Shrub
Screw Tree Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Screw Tree Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Screw Tree
Literary usage of Screw tree
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Dictionary of Mechanical Science, Arts, Manufactures, and Miscellaneous by Alexander Jamieson (1829)
"... the viscous campion is twisted to the left, as the seed-bud is in the screw tree. In oats, the beard which terminates the husk is twisted like a rope. ..."
2. The Gardeners Dictionary: Containing the Methods of Cultivating and ...by Philip Miller by Philip Miller (1754)
"Сея. The screw tree with Marih- mallow-leaves, and a longer and ... The Screw-tree with very large ..."
3. Hortus Kewensis; Or, A Catalogue of the Plants Cultivated in the Royal by William Aiton (1812)
"Small-fruited Screw-tree. Nat. of the West Indies. Cult. 1739, by Mr. Ph. Miller. Rand chels. Willden. sp. pi. 3. p. 720. ..."
4. Sweet's Hortus Britannicus; Or, A Catalogue of All the Plants Indigenous Or ...by Robert Sweet by Robert Sweet (1830)
"SCREW-TREE. ... SCREW-TREE. (re.) great-fruited. (и-А.) small-fruited. I broad-leaved. ..."