Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Scytale Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Scytale
Literary usage of Scytale
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Edward Griffith, Charles Hamilton Smith, Edward Pidgeon, John Edward Gray, George Robert Gray (1831)
"It belongs to Guiana, where it is very much dreaded, and where it also causes to be feared, the Tortrix scytale and Coluber ..."
2. History of Letter-writing, from the Earliest Period to the Fifth Century by William Roberts (1843)
"... so that the animal hai died from strangulation ; the letter was found uninjured in the turban. 10 The scytale of Sparta is explained in Aul. Gell. Noct. ..."
3. The Class Reptilia by Georges Cuvier, Edward Griffith, Edward Pidgeon (1831)
"I ECHIS, Merr., or scytale, Daud., Have the head covered with small scales, ... Sehn., or scytale Krait, Daud. f The Langa/ia of Madagascar, ..."
4. Catalogue of Colubrine Snakes in the Collection of the British Museum by Albert Carl Ludwig Gotthilf Günther (1858)
"scytale, Boie. Body and tail moderate, rather elongate, rounded; head moderate, ... scytale CORONATUM. On the hinder part of the body or on the tail, ..."
5. Catalogue of the Snakes in the British Museum (Natural History) by George Albert Boulenger (1893)
"1. cp 306. annulate, Laur. 1. cp 69. corallina, Laur. I. cp 71. caerulea, Laur. I. c. in , a. Laur. I. c. Tortrix scytale, Oppel, Ordn. Rept. p. ..."