Definition of Second gear
1. Noun. The gear that has the second lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle. "He had to shift down into second to make the hill"
Generic synonyms: Gear, Gear Mechanism
Group relationships: Automotive Vehicle, Motor Vehicle
Definition of Second gear
1. Noun. The second lowest gearing available from a gearbox. ¹
2. Noun. (idiomatic figuratively) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Second Gear Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Second Gear Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Second Gear
Literary usage of Second gear
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Dyke's Automobile and Gasoline Engine Encyclopedia by Andrew Lee Dyke (1916)
"When the clutch is depressed, low gear is pulled out of mesh and brought to neutral mechanically before the second gear circuit is closed and the shift to ..."
2. International Library of Technology: A Series of Textbooks for Persons by International Textbook Company (1903)
"Divide the product by the product of t lie number of teeth of the second gear on stud and tlic lead of the machine in inches. ..."
3. Machine Drawing: A Text and Problem Book for Technical Students and Draftsmen by Carl Lars Svensen (1921)
"... of first gear TI = number of teeth in second gear Nz = revolutions per minute of second gear DZ = diameter of second gear Rz = radius of second gear. ..."
4. Machine Drawing: A Text and Problem Book for Technical Students and Draftsmen by Carl Lars Svensen (1921)
"... of first gear T* = number of teeth in second gear NZ = revolutions per minute of second gear Z>2 = diameter of second gear R2 = radius of second gear. ..."
5. Machine Tool Operation by Henry D. Burghardt (1922)
"These gears may be arranged in the B. & S. machine for example as: 72 gear on worm (driven gear) 40 first gear on stud (driving gear) 32 second gear on stud ..."
6. The Horseless Age (1904)
"GEAR, 7 PITCH ; OTHERS, 8 PITCH. velocity of the high gear is 1532 feet per minute; of the third gear, 1367 feet; of the second gear, 964 feet, ..."
7. Leading Cases of the Court of Civil Appeals of the State of Tennessee: With by Jos C Higgins, Tennessee Court of Civil Appeals, Court of Civil Appeals, Tennessee (1918)
"The jury evidently believed, and we thing rightfully, that after these negroes got out of sight of Mr. Cheek they put the car first in second gear to ..."
8. Shop and Foundry Practice: Prepared for Students of the International by International Correspondence Schools (1901)
"For instance, the 24-tooth gear on the driving stud, and the 80-tooth gear as the first gear on the compound stud, the 16-tooth gear as the second gear on ..."