Definition of Sensory system
1. Noun. A particular sense.
Generic synonyms: Sensation, Sense, Sensory Faculty, Sentience, Sentiency
Specialized synonyms: Sight, Vision, Visual Modality, Visual Sense, Somatosense, Audition, Auditory Modality, Auditory Sense, Hearing, Sense Of Hearing, Gustation, Gustatory Modality, Sense Of Taste, Taste, Olfaction, Olfactory Modality, Sense Of Smell, Smell
2. Noun. The body's system of sense organs.
Generic synonyms: System
Terms within: Receptor, Sense Organ, Sensory Receptor, First Cranial Nerve, Nervii Olfactorii, Olfactory Nerve
Specialized synonyms: Auditory System, Visual System, Vestibular Apparatus, Vestibular System
Sensory System Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sensory System Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sensory System
Literary usage of Sensory system
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Journal of Comparative Neurology by Denison University (1903)
"The Lateral sensory system of the Eels.1 In this paper of 48 pages and three good plates we have a detailed description of the lateral line canals and ..."
2. Monographic Medicine by Albion Walter Hewlett, Lewellys Franklin Barker, Milton Howard Fussell, Henry Leopold Elsner (1916)
"DISEASES OF THE SPINAL COED B. Diseases of the Spinal Cord (System Diseases) I. Diseases of the Afferent or sensory system 1. Tabes Dorsalis or Locomotor ..."
3. A Text-book of Medical Diagnosis by James Meschter Anders, Leonard Napoleon Boston (1911)
"sensory system. The arrangement of the sensory fibers is more complex than that of the motor because of the great number and variety of sensations. ..."