Definition of Shire town
1. Noun. The town or city that is the seat of government for a shire.
Group relationships: Shire
Generic synonyms: Seat
Geographical relationships: Britain, Great Britain, U.k., Uk, United Kingdom, United Kingdom Of Great Britain And Northern Ireland
Lexicographical Neighbors of Shire Town
Literary usage of Shire town
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. History of Great Barrington, (Berkshire County,) Massachusetts by Charles James Taylor (1882)
"GREAT BARRINGTON THE shire town OF THE COUNTY. 1761—1737. The county of Berkshire was taken from the old county of Hampshire,—of which it originally formed ..."
2. The New England Gazetteer: Containing Descriptions of the States, Counties by John Hayward (1857)
"The distance to Dover, the shire town of the county, is 25 miles. Shirley is an excellent town for agricultural purposes. It contains mills for the ..."
3. The Geographical and Historical Dictionary of America and the West Indies by Antonio de Alcedo, George Alexander Thompson (1812)
"[HAMPTON, EAST, onthe<?. end of Long island, New York, a half-shire town of Suffolk county. It has 3260 inhabitants ; and in it is Clinton academy, ..."
4. Historical Collections of the State of New York: Containing a General by John Warner Barber, Henry Howe (1842)
"CALDWELL, the shire town of Warren county, was organized in 1810, and named in honor of James Caldwell, Esq., a principal pro- View of Caldwell, ..."
5. The Justice of the Peace and Parish Officer by Richard Burn, Joseph Chitty, Thomas Chitty (1837)
"ch of the places sharing in the election for such shire-town or borough, notice of the day fixed for such respective election, and shall before the day ..."
6. The Lives of the Right Hon. Francis North, Baron Guilford, Lord Keeper of by Roger North (1826)
"There is little of a shire town to be found there, being but, as it were, a village; only there is the castle, an ancient fortified seat of the Earl of ..."
7. History of Cambridge, Massachusetts. 1630-1877: With a Genealogical Register by Lucius Robinson Paige (1877)
"6 The case between the two towns being again heard, June 13, 1717, it was resolved by the whole court, that " Cambridge is the shire-town of the said county ..."