Definition of Sigmodon
1. Noun. American cotton rats.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Cricetidae, Family Cricetidae
Member holonyms: Cotton Rat, Sigmodon Hispidus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sigmodon Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sigmodon
Literary usage of Sigmodon
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1903)
"—DESCRIPTION OF A NEW SPECIES OF sigmodon FROM ECUADOR. ... sigmodon puna is represented by a series of 15 specimens taken at Pund, Pun£ Island, ..."
2. List of North American Land Mammals in the United States National Museum, 1911 by Gerrit Smith Miller (1912)
"sigmodon hispidus furvus BANGS (see page 400) t*sigmodon hispidus microdon Bailey. 1902. ... RANGE. — Northern Yucatan and Campeche. *sigmodon hispidus ..."
3. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington by Biological Society of Washington (1903)
"The present brief synopsis of the North American species of sigmodon, commonly known as cotton ... The names and type localities are as follows: sigmodon ..."
4. The Barnacles (Cirripedia) Contained in the Collections of the U.S. National by Henry Augustus Pilsbry (1907)
"sigmodon hispidus eremicus Mearns. Preliminary Diagnoses of New Mammals of the Genera Seiurus, Castor, Neotoma, and sigmodon, from the Mexican Border of the ..."
5. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1874)
"Tail nearly naked. Dental and cranial characters slight. I can find but one species. 1. sigmodon hispidus, Say and Orel. SYN. sigmodon hispidum, Say and Ord ..."