2. Verb. (third-person singular of siphon) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Siphons
1. siphon [v] - See also: siphon
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Siphons Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Siphons
Literary usage of Siphons
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Annual Convention by Mid-West Cement Users' Association (1915)
"The length of the siphons varies from 608 to 6671 ft.; one of the 11-ft. siphons is 5584 ft. long; the total length of all siphons is 33031 ft. ..."
2. A Descriptive and Historical Account of Hydraulic and Other Machines for by Thomas Ewbank (1849)
"As liquids are raised in siphons by atmospheric pressure, the perpendicular ... To put siphons in operation, the air within them must be first expelled. ..."
3. A Descriptive and Historical Account of Hydraulic and Other Machines for by Thomas Ewbank (1842)
"Thus farmers occasionally hare water conveyed over hills to supply their barn-yards and dwellings ; and portable siphons are in constant requisition with ..."
4. The Encyclopædia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and by Hugh Chisholm (1911)
"Mantle closed to a considerable extent; siphons well developed; ... siphons united for the greater part of their foot reduced; shell gaping; ..."
5. A Descriptive and Historical Account of Hydraulic and Other Machines for by Thomas Ewbank (1858)
"As liquids are raised in siphons by atmospheric pressure, the perpendicular length of the short leg, like the suction pipe of a pump, should .never exceed ..."
6. Sewerage and Sewage Treatment by Harold Eaton Babbitt (1922)
"These operate as follows: with the dosing tank empty at the start and water at aa' in siphons 1 and 2, and at bb' in siphon No. 3, the dosing tank will be ..."
7. Complete Report on Construction of the Los Angeles Aqueduct: With by Los Angeles (Calif.), Board of Public Service Commissioners (1916)
"CONSTRUCTION OF INVERTED siphons OF STEEL PIPE AND REINFORCED CONCRETE There are 23 inverted siphons where the located line of the Aqueduct crosses canyons ..."