Definition of Sisal hemp
1. Noun. A plant fiber used for making rope.
Sisal Hemp Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sisal Hemp Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sisal Hemp
sis boom bah
sisal hemp (current term)
Literary usage of Sisal hemp
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Textile Fibres: Their Physical, Microscopical and Chemical Properties by Joseph Merritt Matthews (1913)
"sisal hemp is the fibre obtained from the leaves of the Agave rigida, a native of Central America;* it is also grown in the islands of the West Indies and ..."
2. Report of the Secretary of Agriculture by United States Dept. of Agriculture (1890)
"The question of growing sisal hemp (Agave rigida var. sisalana) in the United States was first agitated about 1834, when Dr. Henry Perrine, United States ..."
3. Report of the Secretary of Agriculture by United States Dept. of Agriculture (1893)
"Nurs'ery of sisal hemp plants at New Kiver, Fla 360 drying room of factory 360 III ... 1,'true sisal hemp plant. Fig 2, falso sisal hemp plant. 368 IV. Fig. ..."
4. The Popular Science Monthly (1891)
"... but, during the pleasant six months occupied in so doing, he had many opportunities of observing the cultivation of the " sisal hemp. ..."
5. Bacteria in Relation to Plant Diseases by Erwin Frink Smith (1905)
"Silage-Bacteria, Fermentation of Tobacco, of Indigo, Retting of Flax, of Sisal Hemp, Etc., ... sisal hemp ..."
6. The Microscopy of Technical Products by Thomas Franz Hanausek (1907)
"PITA AND sisal hemp.1 Pita hemp, or pita fiber, also known as Matamoros or Tampico hemp, ... Mexico is the center of the pita industry. sisal hemp ..."