2. Verb. (transitive) To whip with a sjambok; to horsewhip. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Sjambok
1. to strike with a whip used in South Africa [v -ED, -ING, -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sjambok Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sjambok
Literary usage of Sjambok
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Theatre of Violence: Narratives of Protagonists in the South African by Don Foster, Paul Haupt, Maresa de Beer (2005)
"You are supposed to hate the person who is wielding the sjambok. ... So it is difficult to hate the sjambok, instead of hating the person who is wielding ..."
2. Appletons' Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year (1903)
"Gen. de Wet issued orders that any burgher found sleeping in a house should be fined or flogged with the sjambok. The commandos never slept on the same spot ..."
3. Men, Mines and Animals in South Africa by Randolph Henry Spencer Churchill (1897)
"Out we jumped, I with my revolver he with a formidable " sjambok " to slay the reptile. This snake made off into the bush with such celerity and such ..."