Definition of Spathiphyllum
1. Noun. Any of various plants of the genus Spathiphyllum having a white or green spathe and a spike of fragrant flowers and often cultivated as an ornamental.
Generic synonyms: Flower
Group relationships: Genus Spathiphyllum
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Spathiphyllum Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Spathiphyllum
Literary usage of Spathiphyllum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Organography of Plants, Especially of the Archegoniata and Spermaphyta by Karl Goebel (1900)
"Other species of spathiphyllum show this concrescence in much less degree and only at the base of the spadix. We do not know the biological relationships ..."
2. Pamphlets on Forestry in the Philippine Islands (1903)
"Genus spathiphyllum spathiphyllum COMMUTATUM Schott. Reorders states that in Celebes the ... spathiphyllum commutatum is an herb about 1 meter in height. ..."
3. Gartenflora: Monatsschrift Fur Deutsche und Schweizerische Garten- und by Eduard Regel (1870)
"spathiphyllum longirostre Schott geht in den Gärten gemeiniglich als Sp. ... sich diese Art aber schon dadurch von allen ändern spathiphyllum-Arten, ..."
4. The Philippine Journal of Science by Philippines Bureau of Science (1907)
"Publ. 27 (1905) 90. In forests at 1800 m. alt. (No. 6155). Endemic in the Philippines. spathiphyllum Schott. spathiphyllum commutatum Schott. in Oest. Bot. ..."
5. Comparative Anatomy of the Vegetative Organs of the Phanerogams and Ferns by Anton Bary (1884)
"Pothos Rumphii, and spathiphyllum *, numerous hairs of this sort are contained in the cavities and passages of the lamellar parenchyma. ..."
6. Popular Science Monthly (1912)
"... extensive cocoa plantations, which occupy much of the lower forest lands in Trinidad. Along the margins of the streams the showy Aroid, spathiphyllum ..."