Definition of Spodoptera
1. Noun. Moths whose larvae are armyworms.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Noctuidae, Noctuidae
Member holonyms: Spodoptera Exigua, Beet Armyworm, Spodoptera Exigua, Spodoptera Frugiperda
Medical Definition of Spodoptera
1. A genus of owlet moths of the family noctuidae. These insects are used in molecular biology studies during all stages of their life cycle. (12 Dec 1998)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Spodoptera
Literary usage of Spodoptera
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. List of the Specimens of Lepidopterous Insects in the Collection of the by Francis Walker, John Edward Gray (1865)
"Lin. Soc. vi. 185. Borneo. Genus spodoptera, CLH ix. 185. spodoptera ... 186. a. Java. Presented by the Secretary of the India Board. spodoptera ..."
2. Notes on Some Fijian Insects by Frederick Muir (1906)
"spodoptera mauritia Boisd. Plate II. figs. 7-11. "Dark grey-brown with a rusty tinge; abdomen fuscous. Fore- wing with the sub-basal, ..."
3. Biotechnology: Building on Farmers' Knowledge by Joske F. G. Bunders, Bertus Haverkort, Wim Hiemstra (1996)
"... Pediculus humanus capitis, Plutella xylostella, spodoptera litura and ... Pyricularia oryzae, Rhopalosiphum persicae and spodoptera litura Lantana ..."