Definition of Sri lankan
1. Noun. A native or inhabitant of Sri Lanka.
Generic synonyms: Asian, Asiatic
2. Adjective. Of or relating to Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon) or its people or culture. "Sri Lankan forces fighting the Sinhalese rebels"
Definition of Sri lankan
1. Noun. A person from Sri Lanka or of Sri Lankan descent. ¹
2. Adjective. Of, from, or pertaining to Sri Lanka, the Sri Lankan people or the Sri Lankan language. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sri Lankan
Literary usage of Sri lankan
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Culture of Violence by Kumar Rupesinghe (1994)
"I emphasize that the contemporary sri lankan state is by no means a continuation of the state of ancient times.5 Sri Lanka's turbulent history has taken ..."
2. Environmental Regulation and Food Safety: Studies of Protection and by Veena Jha (2005)
"The main market for sri lankan pepper exports is India, which absorbed 80 ... Currently, the USA and Mexico are the main importers of sri lankan cinnamon. ..."
3. Abdication of Responsibility: The Commonwealth and Human Rights by Human Rights Watch (Organization), Human Rights Watch (Organization (1991)
"(Most sri lankan Muslims also speak Tamil but are regarded as a separate ethnic group in Sri Lanka.) In August 1990, after a series of brutal massacres of ..."
4. Human Rights Watch World Report 1997 by Human Rights Watch (Organization), Human Rights Watch Staff (1996)
"In July, the sri lankan parliament approved the establishment of a permanent Human Rights ... In September, bowing to sustained pressure from sri lankan and ..."
5. Playing the "Communal Card": Communal Violence and Human Rights by Cynthia G. Brown, Farhad Karim (1995)
"sri lankan Tamils, about 12 percent of the population, speak Tamil, which is also spoken by more than fifty million people in the southern Indian state of ..."
6. Landmine Monitor Report 1999: Toward a Mine-free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (1999)
"SRI LANKA Background The sri lankan government has been engaged in an intense civil war against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LITE) since 1983. ..."
7. Terrorist Group Profiles (1993)
"Background Long the strongest sri lankan Tamil militant group, ... The LTTE was formed in the early 1970s by young sri lankan Tamils who sought a separate ..."