Lexicographical Neighbors of Starosta
Literary usage of Starosta
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Dictionary of Historical Allusions by Thomas Benfield Harbottle (1904)
"Selski starosta. The village elder or elected head of a Russian mir, or village community. Semiramis of the North. Margaret of Denmark (1387) was so called. ..."
2. Five Thousand Miles in a Sledge: A Mid-winter Journey Across Siberia by Lionel Francis Gowing (1889)
"... and Urga—An infant starosta—A day of rest—House sparrows—The starosta in trouble—The Selenga—Freight caravans—Pitfalls—Nearing the ..."
3. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (1915)
"The starosta ? What do you want with him ? " asked Karp. ... Where is the starosta 1" he repeated. " The starosta—he wants the starosta. ..."
4. The Deluge: An Historical Novel of Poland, Sweden, and Russia. A Sequel to by Henryk Sienkiewicz (1893)
"said the starosta. " Of Christiana there is no mention, for only men are ... said the starosta. " All is verified, so that only a blind man could doubt! ..."
5. Pan Michael: An Historical Novel of Poland, the Ukraine, and Turkey; a by Henryk Sienkiewicz (1898)
"The starosta looked in at them repeatedly, and advanced amid a hail of bullets, ... Pan Michael and the starosta approached the very end of one of the ..."