2. Proper noun. (Guernsey) The (w States of Guernsey). ¹
3. Noun. (plural of state) ¹
4. Verb. (third-person singular of state) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of States
1. state [v] - See also: state
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: States Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of States
Literary usage of States
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Nation Against State: A New Approach to Ethnic Conflicts and the Decline of by Gidon Gottlieb (1993)
"Paradoxically, the struggle for the creation of new states is taking place at a time when older states are moving toward broader associations and when the ..."
2. Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville, Henry Reeve (1899)
"FIRST BOOK INFLUENCE OF DEMOCRACY ON THE PROGRESS OF OPINION IN THE UNITED states CHAPTER I Philosophical Method Among the Americans I THINK that in no ..."
3. Mother's Day: Its History, Origin, Celebration, Spirit, and Significance as by Susan Tracy Rice, Robert Haven Schauffler (1915)
"... is authorized and requested to issue a proclamation calling upon the government officials to display the United states flag on all government buildings, ..."
4. Speeches, Arguments, and Miscellaneous Papers of David Dudley Field by David Dudley Field, Titus Munson Coan (1884)
"N, a resident of Indiana and a citizen of the United states, was arrested at his home October 6, 1864, by order of the military commandant of hia district ..."
5. Southern History of the War: The First Year of the War by Edward Alfred Pollard (1863)
"Election of Abraham Lincoln, President of the United states. ... Policy of the Border Slave states.—Organization of the Confederate states Government. ..."
6. Comparative Education: Studies of the Educational Systems of Six Modern Nations by Peter Sandiford, Harold Waldstein Foght, Isaac Leon Kandel, Arthur H. Hope (1918)
"These states are further divided into counties (in Louisiana the parish is ... In sixteen states the average area of a county exceeds the total area of the ..."