Definition of Status asthmaticus
1. Noun. A prolonged and severe asthma attack that does not respond to standard treatment.
Lexicographical Neighbors of Status Asthmaticus
Literary usage of Status asthmaticus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma by DIANE Publishing Company (1996)
"Kelly WH, Murphy S: Should we stop using theophylline for the treatment of the hospitalized patient with status asthmaticus? ..."
2. Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention by DIANE Publishing Company (1996)
"Are intravenous corticosteroids required in status asthmaticus? JAMA 1988; 260:527-529. 141. Harrison BD, et al. Need for intravenous hydrocortisone in ..."
3. Handbook of Severe Disability: A Text for Rehabilitation Counselors, Other edited by Walter C. Stolov, Michael R. Clowers (2000)
"Occasionally, particularly widi infections, an attack can last days or weeks (status asthmaticus) and rapidly debilitate a patient because of fatigue, ..."
4. Alternative Medicine: Expanding Medical Horizons by DIANE Publishing Company (1995)
"Treatment of status asthmaticus with intravenous magnesium sulfate. J. Asthma 28:11-17. Okunieff, P. 1991. Interactions between ascorbic acid and the ..."
5. Recordkeeping Guidelines for Occupational Injuries and Illnesses by DIANE Publishing Company (1997)
"Symptoms may subside in one hour or less, continue for several hours, or persist as status asthmaticus for many days. End of attack is marked by pronounced ..."