Definition of Stegocephalia
1. Noun. In former classifications a division of class Amphibia comprising all pre-Jurassic and some later extinct large salamandriform amphibia.
Generic synonyms: Animal Order
Group relationships: Amphibia, Class Amphibia
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Stegocephalia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Stegocephalia
Literary usage of Stegocephalia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. International Catalogue of Scientific Literature by Royal Society (Great Britain) (1905)
"[stegocephalia]. Woodward, AS 2754. rostratum. Woodward, AS 2754. ... stegocephalia]. Broili, F. 2132. ..."
2. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1910)
"The pectoral girdle of the stegocephalia is, of course, only known from the ossified elements, the identification of which has given rise to some diversity ..."
3. Journal of Morphology by Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology (1889)
"In the stegocephalia the number of these dermal ossifications is nearly constant. The bones which interest us in the question about the temporal arches are ..."
4. A Text-book of Geology: For Use in Universities, Colleges, Schools of by Louis Valentine Pirsson, Charles Schuchert (1915)
"The whole stock vanished at the close of Triassic time, but it was out of the stegocephalia that the reptiles developed, and it is becoming increasingly ..."
5. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1896)
"This notch is the first appearance of a meatus auditorius in the Vertebrata, and it is not present in all stegocephalia. It seems that the members of the ..."