Definition of Stemples
1. stemple [n] - See also: stemple
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Stemples Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Stemples
Literary usage of Stemples
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. American Edition of the British Encyclopedia: Or, Dictionary of Arts and ...by William Nicholson by William Nicholson (1821)
"stemples, in mining, cross-bars of wood in the shafts which are sunk to mines. ... the transverse pieces of wood used for this purpose, they call stemples, ..."
2. Mining: A Journal Devoted to the Interests of Mines and Mining Students (1894)
"When stoping in moderately hard ground the sides of the vein may be secured with props or stemples fixed at right angles to the hanging wall. ..."
3. The Mining Engineer (1900)
"... generally vertical, or a number of stays or stemples fixed across the shaft, and between which the miners straddle from one stemple to the other, ..."
4. Bulletin by Geological Survey (U.S.) (1917)
"773 stemples crossing, 2.3 miles east of, T road southeast, at point 6 feet ... 69 stemples crossing, 1.1 miles east of, in northwest corner of crossroads, ..."