Definition of Steroid hormone
1. Noun. Any hormone affecting the development and growth of sex organs.
Generic synonyms: Endocrine, Hormone, Internal Secretion
Specialized synonyms: Progestin, Progestogen, Androgen, Androgenic Hormone, Estrogen, Oestrogen, Adrenal Cortical Steroid, Corticoid, Corticosteroid, Anabolic Steroid
Derivative terms: Steroidal
Steroid Hormone Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Steroid Hormone Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Steroid Hormone
Literary usage of Steroid hormone
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Anabolic Steroid Abuse by Geraline C. Lin (1996)
"1988), we utilized the steroid hormone estradiol benzoate as an unconditioned stimulus in a conditioned taste aversion paradigm. ..."
2. Carcinogenic Potency Database, Endocrine Disruptors edited by Lois Swirsky Gold (2000)
"Differences in the expression of accessory proteins for steroid hormone receptors and different patterns of receptor expression, estrogen receptor a and ..."
3. Stress, Gender, and Alcohol-Seeking Behavior edited by Walter A. Hunt, Sam Zakhari (1996)
"SM steroid hormone metabolites are barbiturate-like modulators of the GABA receptor. ... Morrow, AL; Suzdak, PD; and Paul, SM steroid hormone metabolites ..."
4. Mammalian Models for Research on Aging by Institute Of Laboratory Animal Resources, Bennett J. Cohen, National Research Council Staff (1981)
"Studies on the regulation of uterine steroid hormone receptors are easily performed on this animal, and it also may be useful for studying the problems ..."
5. The Neuroscience of Mental Health: A Report on Neuroscience Research edited by Stephen H. Koslow (1997)
"... monoamine neurotransmitters, and steroid hormone signals, causes an animal to eat carbohydrates and mobilize stored energy when It is time to become ..."