¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Tahsil
1. a district in India [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Tahsil Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Tahsil
tahsil (current term)
tai chi chuan
tai chi chuans
Literary usage of Tahsil
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Imperial Gazetteer of India by William Wilson Hunter (1886)
"North-western tahsil of Bareli ... a small portion of the south-west of the tahsil. ... the area of which is co-extensive with the present tahsil. ..."
2. The Imperial Gazetteer of India by William Wilson Hunter (1887)
"In 1885, Salon tahsil contained 1 criminal court; number of police circles ... Town in Rdi Bareli District, Oudh, and head-quarters of Salon tahsil and ..."
3. The Imperial Gazetteer of India by William Wilson Hunter (1887)
"tahsil or Sub-division of Hardoi District, Oudh, lying between 27° 24' and 27° ... Of the 520 towns and villages in the tahsil, 397 contain less than five ..."
4. The Imperial Gazetteer of India by William Wilson Hunter (1885)
"Town in Hoshiarpur tahsil, Hoshiarpur District, Punjab, situated 8 miles from Hoshiarpur town, on the road to ..."
5. Madras (1908)
"The tahsil contains 228 villages, the head-quarters being at the village of the ... This is a densely populated tahsil, which is entirely zamindari land ..."
6. Tribal Law in the Punjab: So Far as it Relates to Right in Ancestral Land by Charles Arthur Roe, Henry Adolphus Byden Rattigan Rattigan (1895)
"In the Wazirabad tahsil the general answer is that daughters or sisters, or their sons, cannot inherit if there are agnates within four generations, ..."