Definition of Telephone system
1. Noun. A communication system that transmits sound between distant points.
Terms within: Cable, Line, Transmission Line, Central, Exchange, Telephone Exchange, Patchboard, Plugboard, Switchboard, Phone, Telephone, Telephone Set
Generic synonyms: Communication System
Specialized synonyms: Medline
Lexicographical Neighbors of Telephone System
Literary usage of Telephone system
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Supreme Court Reporter by Robert Desty, United States Supreme Court, West Publishing Company (1918)
"... that there was no Inconsistency between them, "one being for a local city telephone system, and the other being for a long distance telephone system. ..."
2. Dedicated Computer Crime Units by J. Thomas McEwen (1988)
"telephone system Seizure This offense occurred within a medium-sized company that had purchased a computer-based telephone system for internal ..."
3. Parliamentary Debates: Senate and House of Representatives by Australia Parliament (1911)
"The honorable member for Denison referred to the London telephone system, but I challenge him to show me any better system in the world than the one we used ..."
4. The Engineering Index Annual for by American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1907)
"The Post-Office telephone system. Illustrated description of the new "City" exchange in ... 74876 A. The telephone system of the Future— The Semi-Automatic. ..."